IML: Inspiration, Motivation, Life Lessons

• December 18, 2017 at 4:41 pm #1517
    Jiujitsu3801
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m going to be writing weekly posts to inspire, motivate, and create conversations with anyone on the forum. This is my first post so I’ll try to make it short and sweet.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.” – Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Now like any other quote, everyone can interpret it differently, but I’ll tell you what I believe it means. We have a tendency to cling to our identity and our material possessions. We hold on to the concept of ourselves that society dictates, and we look for that next temporary, shiny goody that’s supposedly going to bring us happiness.

Fact: Obsessing over either one won’t bring you happiness. In fact, peace of mind will also be impossible.

However, I won’t say that any human has achieved the ability to rid themselves of all attachments(Even spiritual leaders cling to something). Therefore, all we can be willing to do is adapt to our circumstances and receive opportunities brought about by change. Girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband didn’t work out? Be open to the possibility of another relationship. Did you get fired from your job? There’s a new job opportunity waiting for you. Are you feeling lonely? I guarantee at least one person will talk to you.

Concerned with your identity? In my mind, you have two options:

1. Work on building a social skill, technical skill, or interesting skill you think you need.

2. Accept who you are because in the grand scheme of the universe, we’re all on equal terms. It doesn’t matter how rich, powerful, dominate, or beautiful you are when we all disappear from this planet after a relatively short period of time.

As an addition to number 2, I’d also say to be careful who you listen to about who you are. Many people, including your friends and family, will tell you you’re this kind of person or that kind of person, but they don’t even understand themselves very well.  Take your identity labeling with a grain of salt.

In the end, we’re all going through a process of growing and shedding layers like the caterpillar who becomes a butterfly.  Until the day we die, we will discover new things about ourselves, and that’s what makes life exciting. We will have to face the unknown because change is inevitable, but knowing that we’re all going through the same process can give us the courage to push forward and grasp the destiny that lies behind life’s obstacles.

Any questions or comments are appreciated, as I look forward to interacting with everyone on this forum.

Eternal Gratitude to all

Jiujitsu Man

December 19, 2017 at 3:47 am #1519
    John n GA
    Participant

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone. Reba McEntire

December 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm #1520
    jiujitsuman3801
    Participant

JOHN N GA,

Thank you for participating. That was a great quote, so I’ll have to watch more Reba.

December 20, 2017 at 3:55 am #1521
    John n GA
    Participant

There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why. William Barclay

December 22, 2017 at 3:43 am #1528
    John n GA
    Participant

Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better. Henry Rollins

December 25, 2017 at 4:21 am #1540
    John n GA
    Participant

The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of love and of generosity and of goodness. It illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than in things. Thomas S. Monson

December 26, 2017 at 3:35 pm #1541
    jiujitsuman3801
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, or that you’re enjoying the holiday you celebrate.

“Men honor what lies within the sphere of their knowledge, but do not realize how dependent they are on what lies beyond it.” Zhuang Zhou

In the self-help world, many speakers preach about following your own path. While I agree that each of us has to make several individual decisions in life, there are a few things to take into consideration:

1. Understand that if your goal is to become “the best” at something, your will is going to more than likely clash with millions of wills on your journey to become number one.

How many kids in the world have their backs against the wall to become number one in a sport like soccer or boxing in order to put food on the table? How many millions strive to achieve million dollar lifestyles? How many people in the world want to create a successful company? Answer: Countless. I’m by no means saying you shouldn’t go for your dreams because you should. You just need to keep everything in perspective, as you pursue the best version of you and not some imaginary position that society created. Also, you probably aren’t the hardest worker, the smartest person, the most beautiful person, or anything that ends in “est” or “st.” If you manage to become any of these, it will be temporary, and someone will pass you because that’s the reality of life on this planet.

2. Your knowledge and vision for your dreams are a very small part of this universe. Your internal drive combined with the cooperation of the external world is what makes the magic happen. 

I have a question for all of you. Can you accomplish ambitious dreams alone? It is necessary for many people to help you on the way, and it’s going to take huge doses of cooperation for a sustained period of time to give you a chance at accomplishing your dreams. Want to interact with everyone around you through fear and power? Good luck getting started. If you manage to forge a path through either one of these avenues, good luck fighting off your insecurities, as you must be protected from the public 24/7. Whether you use the “Golden Rule” of treating everyone the way you want to be treated, or the “Platinum Rule” of treating everyone the way they want to be treated matters not if respect, empathy, and kindness are implemented.

3. Open your ears and listen to other viewpoints

No one has all of the answers. I repeat: no one has all of the answers. I was listening to a lecture by renowned Professor Jordan Peterson, and he said that a leader requires three things:

1. The ability to articulate his/her vision

2. The ability to see his vision as if it has been created.

3. The ability to encounter the unknown

I’m in a period of my life where I’m working on my leadership skills, but I can’t help but wonder about the role of leadership. Every era in history has had several leaders with visions, so I’ll list some of the visions now:

• A vision of the Earth being the center of the universe
    • A vision of a blond, blue-eyed supreme race
    • A vision of conquering several countries
    • A vision of machines controlling the human race

Every idea that has transformed into reality has either changed or no longer exists. Ask yourself if your ideas have more validity than the simple man or woman you pass by in the street. I can’t perform a calculation unfortunately, but my intuition tells me that each of us knows .0000000000000000000001% about anything (Sorry for all of the zeros. I’d put more down, but it would take up the entire page).  Learn to listen, and you’ll open the doors to more possibilities in your search for relationships, truth, or well being.

Well, I’d say that does it for now. Any questions, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for reading my post. I don’t know if I’ll ever meet any of you, but whether our paths cross or not doesn’t take away the fact that my story is tied to all of your stories. Remember that you’re just as important as any human being on this planet, so live your life with all you’ve got!

Eternal Gratitude

JiuJitsuman3801

December 27, 2017 at 3:48 am #1543
    John n GA
    Participant

Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. George Bernard Shaw

December 29, 2017 at 3:43 am #1545
    John n GA
    Participant

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me. Carol Burnett

December 29, 2017 at 2:31 pm #1546
    jiujitsuman3801
    Participant

Hey guys,

This will be my shortest post yet. I’m going to write out 10 tips to help you strengthen yourself against negativity or suffering.

1. Smile

2. Say I love you to friends and family every day.

3. Exercise

4. Meditate

5. Write down positive affirmations.

6. Write down thoughts that are bothering you so you can move on to the next task at hand.

7. Use at least one genuine compliment a day.

8. Hug someone  you care about.

9. Read books about science, religion, art, etc. They can be useful in finding your place in our world.

10. Find a career, job, or activity that you love to do. Find something that’s equals parts challenging and rewarding.

“Every problem is a gift–without problems we would not grow.” – Tony Robbins

May all of you find the peace, love, success, bliss, life, or enriching aspect that you’re looking for.

Jiujitsuman3801

January 4, 2018 at 3:52 am #1565
    John n GA
    Participant

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. Marcus Aurelius

January 10, 2018 at 3:54 am #1566
    John n GA
    Participant

Lighten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don’t get so worked up about things. Kenneth Branagh

January 10, 2018 at 2:36 pm #1567
    jiujitsuman3801
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a fantastic New Year and started this year with a bang both literally and figuratively speaking.

I will now briefly touch upon the word purpose. Philosophers, sages, mystics, and the average human being have pondered purpose for many generations hoping to find an answer. What is my purpose? Why is purpose necessary? How can I fulfill my purpose?

Countless books; especially in the self-help section of a book store, talk about the necessity of having a purpose. I personally have a purpose, and several of you might have one as well. However, what happens to us if we don’t fulfill our individual purposes? What if most of us haven’t created a purpose?

Answer: You’re going to be ok.

I believe that a purpose can be a great starting point for your path in life, but it’s by no means a requirement. Do the planets and stars in the night sky above you think about purpose as they’re involved in an endless cycle of creation and destruction? Do plants and animals ponder about purpose? Did human beings reflect on purpose 70,000 years ago during the Cognitive Revolution in human development?

Purpose can give us amazing goals that keep life exciting, but anxiety and depression can accumulate if a person doesn’t live up to expectations. If we’re going to cling to a higher purpose, we must celebrate small things more frequently. Why don’t we jump for joy when we eat something sweet? Why not smile when we hear ourselves breathing? Why not laugh at the simple mistakes we make?

This won’t solve everyone’s problems, but if we learn from each other, cooperate with each other, and express love and respect to each other, we’ll begin taking small steps towards living fulfilling lives. Understand that these acts can be carried out with or without a purpose.

Thank you, muito obrigado, arigatou gozaimashita, xièxie, merci beaucoup, grazie, muchas gracias, terima kasih, spasibo, danke (Note: Written just in case English isn’t your first language 🙂 )

Jiujitsuman3801

January 16, 2018 at 12:13 am #1578
    Jade Capri
    Keymaster

I really love what you guys are doing here. Inspiration is never too much.

Sending love to you Jiujitsu and John.

January 16, 2018 at 12:16 am #1579
    Jade Capri
    Keymaster

“Take pride in lifting people up and not pleasure in putting people down.”

This comes to me as I find out what people are capable of.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.